Monday, December 20, 2010

All because Two People Fell in Love


So this month Josh and I celebrate our 7 year wedding anniversary. Many of you know the story but I will give the short version for those who don't.
Josh and I had the same friends growing up and his older sister even babysat my brother and I when we first moved to RV. I was living in Las Cruses going to college and he was living in RV working for his Dad. I came home to visit for Thanksgiving and Jessica and Ben set us up on a date. Our first date was dinner at Booga's! We spent the rest of weekend seeing each other and after I went back to school we talked and e-mailed. Then it was time to come home again for Christmas. I had a few weeks off of school so I was home for a while. After a few days we were inseparable, and Josh was supposed to go to the valley to help his parents with a job, so he asked me to come with him. We left really late on a Friday and I didn't tell my parents I was just going to call them in the AM. Well, things were said, and we were feeling giddy so instead of going to the valley we somehow ended up in Viva Las Vegas! Saturday morning we got into the downtown part and were looking for a weeding chapel, then we were told we had to go to the courthouse and get a licence. I asked "Are they open on Saturday" and the rather large African American said "Honey, this is Las Vegas we never close" OK, so we were literally waiting in line with other couples who were getting married or divorced or something and finally got a licence. My mom is trying to call me at this point worried sick that I was kidnapped or worse. I was avoiding the phone until finally I talked to her. She was ok but mad that we didn't invite her! Once we walked out of the courthouse we were attacked by Elvis impersonators and guru's of all kinds. I saw a nice looking man in a regular business suit and asked him if he could do this cheap and quick. He walked us to a nearby store front and said "Congrats" and left us with the voo-doo queen that we could barely understand. Our witnesses were two older women from Bulgaria or something, they didn't speak any English, and our voo-doo queen was trippin on something. Needless to say we were finally married on December 20, 2003, and I tore up the Video and thru it in the nearest dumpster! So now we are in LV and dead broke. So now we're callin our parents to tell them the good news and ask for a loan! Such nice children we were! Mom put us up at the Alladin after a few crazy accidents we were on our Honeymoon. Every year my brother and Mom give me a hard time because we were all supposed to go get a Christmas tree and my poor brother was the one who got to go with my mom while I was on our little escapade. They ended up poaching a tree on the side of the highway. In the end it all worked out and we had a very Merry Christmas. Trust me this is the short version! A few years later on June 16th 2005 we were married for Time and all Eternity in Snowflake AZ and no we didn't elope this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment